I found it really easy to follow and managed to use up the rest of the yarn I had leftover from the Lomond hat Ive been sporting around this winter. Then some more leftover yarn, and some vintage buttons I had. And voila! Hopefully a warm neck!
Winter has arrived.. only days ago. Apparently. Not for this short haired dog though. He curls up in a ball so tight, he looks the size of a chiwawa. He’s taller than my knee..
So a few weeks ago, I made him a new winter coat. The last one I bought, was lined with an old woollen blanket. Such a genius idea. Sad he decided to lose it, on what can only be presumed was a blackberry bush, when going for a run after some rabbits, last winter. 5 hours later he was found, tired and minus coat. That was an interesting day.
I wouldve loved to written a tutorial on how I made the dog coat, but really, it was a heap of fiddling that could have been avoided, and it depends on the size of your dog.
My tips are:
Pick a time when the dog is chilled out. Nothing like trying to fit a dog who is excited!
Get an old pure woollen jacket (preferably a large one) and felt it in hot water.
Use a heavy duty outer fabric (I picked a good quality calico).
Bind it together with a large width bias binding.
Use elastic around the belly of the dog.
So Im just going to show you some photos of my surprisingly photogenic dog! (Yes, I realise he isnt the most attractive dog!!)
And my favourite photo for last..
So did you spot the attempted photobombing of another lovely dog? Thank goodness she has been blessed with a thick natural coat!
Now bring on winter!! (Well, maybe not too bad.. I havent made a coat for myself yet…!)
Made myself a hat – so now I’m all ready for winter!! Haha, if only it were that easy!
I had been looking on ravelry for a hat that would use up more of my stash of 12 ply (Bulky), whilst looking great AND keeping my noggin and ears warm. I found the Lomond, a free pattern on ravelry (you’ll need a ravelry account to access it). I modified it a bit, by making the needle sizes one smaller than the pattern stated (which is larger than what my 12 ply yarn recommends anyway). It made the hat fit more snugly, which is exactly how I like them. And I made my pompom a bit scraggly, kind of reminds me of a wet sheep, haha!!
Well, it happened. I ran out of yarn well before it made it into a beanie. But hey, it actually makes a really good winter headband. Its meant to be raining this weekend… maybe the humidity and temperature will drop enough that I can try it out!